Jul. 20th, 2015

So I joined The Learning Collective and one of the things we do is a weekly check-in. I've already done a couple, but I just thought, this could be something for my own blog too! And this thing has been inactive for waaaay too long.

I missed last week's check-in because I was a little confused about what was going on.

Last week:


I spent a lot of time on my KiSS doll viewer. KiSS dolls are a format that was invented in Japan in 1991 to display pixel-based drag-and-drop dress-up dolls. KiSS sets have their own special scripting language and image format. The challenge I gave myself was to find a way to convert these sets to something that can be viewed in the browser. I used C to convert the image format, Haskell to parse the configuration file into JSON, and vanilla JavaScript for user interaction.

I did manage to convert a single doll, "Aurora" by Punky, to a browser-based set. You can play with it here.

Once I got to that point, I was very excited, but the project is barely started. I still need to implement a lot more of the earliest KiSS spec, let alone the many later upgrades.

Before I got any deeper into the project, though, I needed to add a test suite to make it easier to test the parser. This is where I ran into trouble.

Profile

horrorcheck

August 2015

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 18th, 2017 09:51 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios